Sunday, March 21, 2010

Award Winning Pie

Posted by Kristy

I have come a long way in my culinary skills. When I first started cooking there were many mishaps, including salt cookies (2 Tbs instead of 2 tsp), macaroni soup (forgot the draining noodles step), and many others. But now I'm not only an advanced cook, but an award-winning cook. Okay sure it was only a stake competition and sure my award is a home made red ribbon, and sure I got 2nd place, but the real prize in winning isn't the trophy: it's the bragging rights. Like my "I'm the best cook in the world" face?



Last night I participated in a Stake Culinary Competition and lost only to an upside-down apple cake. Hard to beat an American dessert like that, though I'm sure there was some under the table bribes going on....no other way my pie could have been beat. No, I'm kidding actually there were tons and tons of desserts and honestly I didn't think I stood a chance of winning. But my Irish Banoffee Pie took 2nd place. It's easy to remember it because it's a combination of "banana" and "toffee" get it? It's not only delicious but it is SIMPLE to make. So I thought I'd share my award winning pie recipe with you all. I got this recipe from my old Mission President's Wife, Nadine Chapman, she's an incredible cook. Anyways, here it is.

Banoffee Pie

- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (1 can makes 2 pies)
- 2 graham cracker pie crust
- whipped cream
- bananas

I always just use the pre-made pie crusts b/c I'm lazy but you can always make your own. First, to make the toffee you need to put the UNOPENED can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of water. Make sure that there is at least an inch or so of water above the can. Bring the water to a boil, when it starts to boil turn the heat down to simmer and cook the unopened can for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the can over after half the cooking time.

After cooking, let the can cool a little before opening it. It's best to wait a bit because the pressure sometimes makes the toffee-like substance to spray out. After cooking, the condensed milk will turn a more caramel color and will taste slightly different. Open the can and pour half of the toffee mixture on each pie crust. Then refrigerate the pies for about 1-2 hours. Sometimes I cook the toffee the day before and just leave the pies in the fridge all night. Just make sure the toffee substance is cooled and not as runny.

When ready to serve slice bananas onto the toffee of each pie crust. I like to completely cover the toffee with bananas. Then top the bananas with a layer of whipped cream. To finish I like to either slice more bananas on top, or grate some chocolate. Your choice. After that, enjoy. I know the preparation sounds kind of weird but trust me it is delicious. And you should trust me because I'm an award winning cook.

3 comments:

  1. It is a true miracle that you went from the worst cook in the house to one of the best. Trevor doesn't even know how grateful he should be! He thinks he doesn't like food now, wait until he was forced to consume 13 year old Kristy concoctions. That's enough to drive anyone to starvation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to drain the macaroni?! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Kristy, you seriously are a riot.

    And I can attest- I've eaten this pie before and it is delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like a fun activity.

    ReplyDelete