Tuesday, March 22, 2011

St. Paddy's Day

Posted by Kristy

Ever since my mission in Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has become "my holiday." It's funny, every year I get random texts from people I haven't heard from in ages because when they hear "St. Patrick's Day," they think of me. I'm touched... I think. One of my favorite Simpsons quotes about Ireland is from Kent Brockman when we says: "All this drinking, violence, destruction of property...are these the things that we think of when we think of the Irish?" Celebrating St. Paddy's Day in Ireland can be pretty scary, but it can also be pretty awesome. I'm going to list my 3 favorite ways to celebrate.

3. Parades. I was lucky enough to be in Dublin for my last St. Patrick's Day, and it was pretty crazy. It was kind of funny because most of the people lining the streets, dressed up in leprechaun garb weren't even Irish. Most of the Irish people were too busy in the pub to attend. Here are some pictures.



2. Hurling Matches- All right, before you say "that's disgusting I'm not reading any further" I'm talking about an Irish sport. Now you're thinking, "eww, they made it into a sport?" Well read on because I'm about to drop some knowledge on you in the form of a youtube video.



This sport is crazy awesome to watch. This sport makes UFC look like a sissy girl tea party.

3. Parties. Who doesn't love getting decked out in green and listening to horrible fake Irish accents? No, I'm kidding, I love it. It's the one time a year when I realize how legit I sound compared to everyone around me. This year I decided to forgo the Mormon drinking games (still lemon juice champion) and calm things down with a little potluck St. Patrick's Day dinner. It was fun to see friends, eat delicious food and show off this piece of culinary genius.


I'll end this with this hilarious Simpsons clip about Ireland. It's worth the 5 sec. hulu wait.
(-->An Irish Lullaby<-- click here)

8 comments:

  1. "This was such a pleasant St. Patrick's Day til the Irish people showed up." - Classic line! I am so glad I got to see Ireland with you. It will always have a place in my heart. And you were right... northern Ireland is highly underrated! We should always listen to Kristy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the giant spider lookin' thing in the parade really freaks me out, but I LOVE the cupcakes! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... you made the cupcake thing? That is crazy awesome.

    My kids wore green... I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actually watched that entire hurling vid. mesmorizing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People at work kept commenting on Mar 17th that it was "my day". I think that means I get two birthdays!
    I really wanted to make something Irish but I was so torn between making American food dyed green vs. bland potatoes I didn't end up making anything...but I did by a bunch of IBC root beer.
    Someday we should plan a trip to back around St. Paddy's...I never got to the hurley match

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about the holiday all together, but I love your cupcake rainbow with the pot of gold!! Seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay so the hurling thing is ridiculous! I wanna play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That IS cool on the cupcakes. I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience to make the rainbow ones again though... :) Your's are so cute! PS-- I'm now going to blog stalk you, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete